Asthma Clinical Review Service
Optimum Patient Care is committed to making a tangible difference in the lives of patients. We provide free epidemiological summary statistics for general practices based on their own practice outcomes, which are given in a report form and can be presented to clinical and management staff by an epidemiologist on request.
The Asthma Audit
For general practices to review management of patients with moderate to severe patients, to achieve best practice outcomes, by:
- Reviewing and improving practices of documentation of the care process in patient electronic health records.
- Aligning primary care processes with the national best practice guidelines on asthma management and the asthma cycle of care.
How does it work?
The OPC Clinical Audit is a hassle-free tool for GPs to be supported by leading experts to improve the quality of care of asthma patients. The process is summarised below:
- OPC will install a data collation tool, which collates relevant data and removes names and DOBs.
- The collated data, which exists on the practice computer/system only, is reviewed by the practice manager.
- Once happy that the data is accurate and de-identified correctly, the de-identified data is transferred to the OPC server which summarises the data in statistics that are presented to the practice in report form.
- The report is presented to the practice by an OPC epidemiologist, whom provides feedback to general practitioners on rates of implementation (%) of aspects of asthma management.
- The process is repeated at a 12-month interval, which enables the same key aspects of asthma management to be reviewed by an OPC epidemiologist and presented to the clinic.
Benefits for your practice
- We provide an epidemiological summary of your clinic statistics for free
- The report identifies non-adherence to asthma management plans to clinicians
- Discussion with an OPC epidemiologist enables the clinic to create a clinic-specific plan to reduce unscheduled care and de-escalate treatment.
Benefits for GPs
- Audits that can be used for annual appraisals and re-accreditation
- Education directly reflecting your own patient
Benefits for patients
- Diagnosing potentially undiagnosed patients, for early intervention
- Improving patient involvement in care through patient questionnaires
- Self-management plans provide patients with a clear understanding of disease control to help monitor symptoms and better manage their condition and treatment
- Health benefits for patients e.g. avoidance of side effects through discontinuation of inappropriate treatments
- Opportunities for patients to participate in research.
Clinical Review Tools
In addition to providing support to self-improvement, the OPC Clinical Audit program will provide a variety of tools and services to participants to enhance their practice, including, but not limited to:
- Customisable disease-specific patient questionnaires. The questionnaires are designed to supplement information within the patient’s health records. Specifically, the questionnaires let the GP know how the disease or treatment affects the patient and their daily life. As the questionnaires can be done at the patient’s leisure and does not require a visit to the GP practice, it is a convenient way for the patient to update the GP on any new developments and acts as a diary of the patient’s health
- Electronic Health Record medical templates to streamline diagnostic and care processes to align with current best practice guidelines
- Provide referral and shared care pathways through the extensive OPC network of primary care givers and specialists, and promoting communication and collaborations between practitioners.