Asthma Review Services
Optimum Patient Care is committed to making a difference to patients. We provide an at no cost comprehensive respiratory review service to help general practices manage patients with Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Practices may choose to engage this at no cost service on an annual basis.
Using Electronic Records of Asthma (CAERA)
An opportunity for GPs to review their approach to managing the care of patients with moderate to severe asthma, to achieve best practice outcomes.
The objective is to optimise the quality of primary care provision to patients with moderate to severe asthma by:
- Reviewing and improving practices of documentation of the care process in patient electronic medical records
- Aligning primary care process with the national best practice guidelines on asthma management and the asthma cycle of care.
How does it work?
Anonymised data of patients with Asthma is gathered from practice electronic clinical systems and combined with data gathered from Asthma returned by patients. All data collected for review is anonymised at the practice, ensuring that no patient identifiable information leaves the practice in accordance with Information Governance and Data Protection laws. A bespoke data analysis is then conducted, in accordance with national guidelines and world-renowned expert advisors.
CAERA has been designed to align with the 5 steps outlined in the RACGP clinical audit cycle:
Clinical Review Process
The clinical review is an accredited initiative intended to assist GPs to better assess patient’s asthma severity, identify reasons for sub-optimal asthma control and patients who may be at risk. With tailored reports, OPC Australia’s team of clinical experts will support GPs with recommendations for their specific patients which will support GPs in developing asthma management plans for those patients at risk, to prevent future exacerbations and optimise patient outcomes.
Following completion of the clinical review GPs will be able to:
- Implement the practice of quality electronic documentation of the primary care process
- Utilise the national best practice guidelines on asthma management provided in the Australian Asthma Handbook in daily patient management
- Manage a patient with moderate to severe asthma in line with the principles of the asthma cycle of care
- Utilise clinical audit methodology to assess, optimise and sustain good patient management practices
- Implement the practice of holistic assessment and medication management in patients with asthma and other diseases.
It takes real-life data to understand further about chronic disease management in the real world. Don’t miss your opportunity to be a part of the Clinical Review initiative! Description of how to register for the clinical review.
CAERA is a Category 1 40 CPD points activity, as part of the RACGP QI&CPD Program in the 2017-19 Triennium. Activity Number 122601.