Asthma Clinical Review Services
Optimum Patient Care is committed to making a difference to patients. We provide at no cost comprehensive respiratory review service to help general practices manage patients with Asthma. Practices may choose to engage this service on an annual basis and benefit from being eligible to earn 40CPD points of the RACGP Continuing Professional Development program.
The Asthma Audit - RACGP Activity Number 122601
An opportunity for GPs to review their approach to managing the care of patients with moderate to severe asthma, to achieve best practice outcomes.
The objective is to optimise the quality of primary care provision to patients with moderate to severe asthma by:
- Reviewing and improving practices of documentation of the care process in patient electronic health records
- Aligning primary care processes with the national best practice guidelines on asthma management and the asthma cycle of care.
How does it work?
The OPC Clinical Audit is a hassle-free tool for GPs to be supported by leading experts to improve the quality of care of asthma patients. The process is summarised below;
- OPC will install an extraction tool on the practice computer on a view-only account so as to not disturb the practice data.
- De-identified data (i.e. does not contain patient identifiable information) of patients with asthma is gathered from the practice electronic clinical systems and combined with data gathered from asthma questionnaires returned by high-risk patients. All data collected for review is anonymised at the practice, ensuring that no patient identifiable information leaves the practice in accordance with Information Governance and Data Protection laws.
- A bespoke data analysis is then conducted, in accordance with national asthma guidelines and world-renowned expert advisors. OPC Australia will summarise the findings in a report for the selected patient group and provide feedback to the GP with the rates of implementation (%) of aspects of asthma management.
- Upon receipt of the feedback report, the GP will be given the opportunity to reflect on and respond to feedback. The GP will have a face to face discussion with an OPC asthma expert to set own standards as a target implementation rate (%) for future care provision.
- GP electronic health records will be re-audited by OPC Australia 12 months following the initial data extraction. The same key aspects of asthma management will be reviewed and analysed to compare ideal and actual performance by the GP relating to care provision of asthma patients.
Benefits for your practice
- We do all the work – minimal GP and practice staff involvement
- No manual work required – all electronic
- Reduce unscheduled care into routine care and de-escalate treatment
- Identify and organise practice management of high-risk patients
Benefits for GPs
- By participating in this accredited activity, GPs are eligible to obtain 40 Category 1 CPD points
- User-defined – you define the parameters
- Continuing annual education that is relevant to you and your patients
- Complex patients can be assessed by two other HCPs through Team Care Arrangements (TCAs) arranged by OPC
Benefits for patients
- Diagnosing potential undiagnosed patients for early intervention
- Improving patient involvement in care through patient questionnaires
- Self-management plans provide patients with a clear understanding of disease control to help monitor symptoms and better manage their condition and treatment.
- Health benefits for patients e.g. avoidance of side effects through discontinuation of inappropriate treatments
- Opportunities for patients to participate in research
It takes real-life data to understand further about chronic disease management in the real world. Don’t miss your opportunity to be a part of the Asthma Clinical Review initiative!
Clinical Review Tools
In addition to providing support to self-improvement, the OPC Clinical Audit program will provide a variety of tools and services to participants to enhance their practice, including, but not limited to:
- Customisable disease-specific patient questionnaires. The questionnaires are designed to supplement information within the patient’s health records. Specifically, the questionnaires let the GP know how the disease or treatment affects the patient and the daily life. As the questionnaires can be done at the patient’s leisure and does not require a visit to the GP practice, it is a convenient route for the patient to update the GP on any new developments and act as a continual diary of the patient’s health.
- EHR medical templates to streamline diagnostic and care processes to align with current best practice guidelines.
- Provide referral and shared care pathways through the extensive OPC network of primary care givers and specialists, and promoting communication and collaborations between practitioners
The Asthma Clinical Audit is a 40 Category 1 CPD points activity, as part of the RACGP QI&CPD Program in the 2017-19 Triennium. Activity Number 122601.