Asthma Clinical Review Service
Optimum Patient Care Australia (OPCA) supports GPs with our hassle-free clinical audit in order to improve the quality of care of asthma patients. We are an innovative social enterprise with a strong focus on respiratory diseases and other chronic conditions including COPD, Heart Disease, Osteoporosis and Diabetes.
Our Clinical Audit program ACAER (Achieving Clinical Audits with Electronic Records) allows general practitioners to review the management of patients with moderate to severe asthma.
We review patients’ electronic medical records, patient-reported outcomes through our high-risk questionnaire and the overall documentation process during our audit.
We can help practices to align their processes with national best practice guidelines on asthma management and the asthma cycle of care.
Benefits to Your Practice
- Epidemiological summary report tailored for your practice as well as patient-level reports
- Easily identify non-adherent patients (questionnaire)
- Create specific plans to reduce unscheduled care and de-escalate treatment.
Benefits to GPs
- High-risk patients are identified that could otherwise remain hidden to the GP
- 40 CPD Points can be used for annual appraisals and re-accreditation
- Education directly reflecting your own patient
- Opportunity to participate in research
Benefits for Patients
- Earlier intervention for potentially undiagnosed patients leading to improved care
- Patient self-management plans to better control and treat the disease and help monitor symptoms
- Health benefits through discontinuation of inappropriate treatments
Clinical Review Tools
In addition to our clinical audit program, our team can provide a variety of tools and services that can be used by practices as part of their quality improvement. These include
- Customised patient questionnaires are designed to supplement information within patients’ medical records. The questionnaires inform GPs about how asthma impacts the patient. The questionnaires are completed at the patient’s leisure and do not require a visit to the GP practice, it is a convenient way for the patient to update the GP on any new developments.
- Electronic medical record templates streamline diagnostic and care processes to align with current best practice guidelines.
- Referral and shared care pathways through OPCA’s extensive network promotes improved communication and collaborations between practitioners.